First summer session was 1909. Civil engineers moved out in 1929, and biologists occupied the present space.
<p><img height="302" width="400" src="http://www.umbs.lsa.umich.edu/research/sites/default/files/researchsites/images/ellsworth-umbs1.jpg" alt="Complete this field for web accessibility purposes" title="Complete this field for search engine purposes" /></p>
<p>UMBS “Old” Campus (Original location) <br />
David Gates, late summer, 2009: Log lab and JB were the only buildings on the site when purchased. They were burned in the 1940’s by Stockard. Supplies were delivered to camp to the loading dock probably right next to JB. A darkroom was added onto log lab on the lake side, but not all was darkroom—there was some additional seating space. There were 3 wells in camp: at ladyville, at the kitchen, and near log lab. The ladyville pipe is still showing. Originally there were tent outhouses and urinal trenches. The main dock was between log lab and the aquarium, probably a little closer to log lab. The main walks were in front of the ladyville cabins. There was a small playground and ‘chatterbox’ (Nichols pavillon) in front of the Nichols and Hungerford cabins. Hubert Kelsey worked 6 years here—he was secretary to G.R. LaRue. He was an English major, ordered supplies during the winter. All the ladyville and Manville cabins were moved the winter of 1929-1930 on aspen logs on the snow. Some became present faculty housing by putting together. The original Cort cabin (32) is in ladyville today—it has hemlock siding inside because of a fire. There had also been a fire in the icehouse—students helped with a bucket brigade. The buildings Houghton and the research lab were staked out on the corners, and those stakes can still be found. Houghton became Houghton. Some of the concrete from the mess hall was brought down to the terrace in front of administration/store/mailroom. <span style="font-size: x-small;"><br />
<p><span style="font-size: x-small;"><span style="font-size: small;">A history of the summer surveying camp by Eugene Glysson - </span></span><a title="" href="http://www.umbs.lsa.umich.edu/research/sites/default/files/researchsites/docs/camp_davis.pdf">camp_davis.pdf</a></p>
<p><img height="677" width="455" src="/research/sites/default/files/researchsites/images/HaircutOutsideLogLab1909.jpg" alt="Complete this field for web accessibility purposes" title="Complete this field for search engine purposes" /><br />
<p><img height="503" width="644" title="Typical tent, 1909." alt="Complete this field for web accessibility purposes" src="/research/sites/default/files/researchsites/images/TypicalTent1909.jpg" /></p>